Baseball Drops Two Against Yale

You can’t win if you don’t score runs – and for the Red (5-15, 1-5 Ivy), it was just one of those days as the team was swept at Yale (16-11, 5-1) yesterday in an afternoon doubleheader, 7-0 and 5-4 in extra innings. After rain pushed Ivy play back a day, the Cornell offense looked sluggish as it collected only 10 hits on the day, including just three in Game 1’s shutout loss.

“First game we just didn’t swing the bats,” said head coach Tom Ford. “[Senior] Rocky Collis really battled but we just let him out to dry. Game 2 we got ahead early and they shut us down the second half of the game.”

Collis was a one-man army in the first game of what turned out to be a lopsided pitchers duel against Yale. The Santa Monica, Calif., native received the loss, surrendering four earned runs on 10 hits while going the distance on the afternoon. Yale second baseman P.J. Gorynski was a thorn in Collis’ side, going 3-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored.

“[Collis] kept us in the game there until the last inning,” Ford said. “Then it was 5-0, and he started to falter just a little. Still, he pitched well enough for the first five innings that if we would have scored some runs we would have won the ballgame.”

Bulldog pitcher Alec Smith quieted the Red offense, picking up his second win of the season after allowing only three hits in six innings of work. The Red batters couldn’t muster any momentum, striking out eight times in 22 at-bats.

Freshman Brant McKown, senior Michael Weiss and freshman Scott Hardinger were the only Cornell players to receive hits in the contest, with McKown and Weiss both collecting doubles.

Game 2 of the doubleheader scripted a much different story compared to Game 1, as the Red lost a nail-biter by a score of 5-4 in extra innings. Cornell jumped out to a 4-0 lead but couldn’t hold on for the victory, eventually losing thanks to a game-winning single off the bat of Yale’s Peter Obregon.

Sophomore Bryce Klinesteker got the nod for Cornell and went 6 2/3 innings, striking out five Yale batters in the process. Freshman Chris Carls came on in relief and went 2 2/3 innings before receiving the loss in the bottom of the 10th.

“Bryce pitched well and then we had Chris Carls come in,” Ford said. “Chris really shut them down the next couple of innings. It was really a good ballgame.”

Yale pitchers John Henry Davis and Matt Fealey came out of the bullpen to stop the Cornell offense, as both combined in allowing only three hits in six innings of work. Fealey improved to 3-0 on the year after earning the win.

Senior Seth Gordon went two-for-five in the second contest between the two teams while Hardinger also added two hits for the Red.

Cornell grabbed the lead early after scoring four runs in five innings. Sophomore Brian Kaufman scored the Red’s first run of the contest by way of the sacrifice fly in the top of the first. Freshman Nathan Ford added a double in the fourth inning to extend the Red’s lead to 2-0, and McKown then added a two-RBI double of his own in the fifth to give the Red a 4-0 lead going into the bottom half of the inning.

Yale rallied for a single run in the sixth and eventually tied the score after a three-run rally in the bottom of the seventh, sending the game into extra innings. The rally was highlighted by a two-out triple from Yale’s Dan Soltman that knocked Klinesteker out of the game. Cornell looked like it would get out of the inning with a double play, but the call didn’t go the Red’s way, prolonging the inning.

“It was a close call,” Ford said. “Obviously we didn’t get the call and, as usually is the case, the next guy got a hit. That is usually what happens when things aren’t going your way.”

After the teams went scoreless in the eighth and ninth innings, Yale cemented the victory in the bottom of the 10th after Marc Sawyer opened the frame with a double. Sawyer advanced to third on John Janco’s single and after an intentional walk and a strikeout, Obregon singled home the game-winner on a one-ball, one-strike pitch from Carls.

With the rain delay from Saturday pushing the Ivy slate back one day, the Red will face Brown (5-13, 5-1) today in Providence, R.I., at Aldrich Field. Brown swept Princeton (4-18-1, 0-6) yesterday, winning Game 2 in extra innings after freshman Matt Nuzzo scored off a wild pitch.

Archived article by Tim Kuhls
Sun Assistant Sports Editor