Track Teams Earn 13 Wins at Quaker Invite

Competing against heavy winds, constant rain, and cold temperatures – not to mention some of the best programs in the Northeast – the men’s and women’s track teams still managed strong results at the Quaker Invite this past Saturday in Philadelphia. The Cornell teams combined for a total of 13 first-place finishers at the meet, including several performances that rank among the best in the IC4A this year.

“For the most part, we did a very good job of going at it in awful conditions,” said men’s head coach Nathan Taylor.

The Red had the top-3 finishers in the 400-meter hurdles, as senior Greg Simonds won the race in a time of 52.75, while sophomores Adam Seabrook and Aaron Merrill took second and third with times of 53.27 and 54.32, respectively.

“We have several very good intermediate-distance hurdlers,” Taylor said.

Although most events were held outdoors in difficult conditions, the jumping events were held indoors as the weather was considered “dangerous,” according to Taylor. Junior David Pell and sophomore Rayon Taylor were both winners in the field, as Pell tied for first in the high jump with a mark of 6-8 1/4, and Taylor won the triple jump with a mark of 48-6 3/4.

The Red was also victorious in the steeplechase, as junior Aaron Arlinghaus returned from injury to win the event with a time of 9:13.8. Sophomore Ian Ward took second in the event with a time of 9:32.3.

“Aaron ran his first track race in 22 months,” Taylor said. “And he ran the whole thing by himself in driving rain.”

Also on the track, sophomore Jimmy Wyner won the 800 meters with a time of 1:51.15. Senior Gordon Hall took third in the 800, with a time of 1:52.33.

The women’s team also had a strong showing in the 800 meters, as five of the top-8 places belonged to Cornell. Senior Ruth Morgan took second with a time of 2:14.69, while junior Nyam Kagwima was third with a time of 2:15.05.

The Red also had several top finishers in the steeplechase, as juniors Robyn Ellerbrock and Toni-Lynn Salucci took first and second place with times of 10:50.3 and 10:54.4, respectively.

Senior Linda Trotter won the 200 meters and also finished second in the 100 meters with a time of 12.59. Junior Morgan Uceny – a premier runner in the 800 meters -won the 400 meters with a time of 56.29.

Junior Stephanie King won the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 15.01. In the 4×100 meter relay, the team of freshmen Troy Mullins, freshman Jeomi Maduka, junior Cameron Washington and freshman Janice Nsor were victorious in a time of 48.03.

In the jumps, junior Sarah Wilfred won the high jump with a mark of 5-10, while Maduka won the triple jump with a mark of 38-11 3/4. Senior Jamie Greubel won the long jump with a jump of 17-3 1/2.

Archived article by Ted Nyman
Sun Senior Editor