Softball to Face Canisius

Coming off a strong weekend, winning three out of four against Dartmouth and Harvard, the Cornell softball team heads off to Buffalo today where it will face-off with Canisius in a double header.

Canisius has been hot lately, winning six of their last eight games. The Red will run into Courtney Priar who has been unstoppable on the mound lately for Canisius. Priar was named the MAAC player of the week last week, going 1-0 with a save and an ERA of 0.66 in three appearances.

Canisius will be running into an equally strong and battle-tested Cornell lineup. Over the weekend the Red improved its record to 17-16 overall and 3-1 in the Ivy League. The pitching rotation is really coming into sync as Sophomore Jenn Meunier pitched a complete game shut out against Harvard, bringing her ERA for the season down to 2.24. The Red bats have also been strong lately. Ashley Wolf now leads the team with a .411 batting average with her 46 hits. She’s been the spark at the beginning of the lineup that the Red has really needed.

Another key to success has been sophomore Jenna Capangnola. She has moved from the lead-off spot to the six-hole and has flourished. In game 1 of the Dartmouth double header this past Saturday, Campagnolo hit a walk-off single in the bottom of the 9th to give the Red the victory.

Archived article by Lance Polivy