Brown's Miller Reportedly Leaving for Penn Vacancy

A university source informed The Associated Press that Brown head coach Glen Miller will become the new head coach of Penn’s men’s basketball team, replacing Fran Dunphy, who left the Quakers for Temple earlier this month. Penn and Brown officials both declined comment or could not be reached in the article. A formal announcement is slated for today.

Miller’s hiring puts end to speculation that current Cornell head coach and former top Penn assistant Steve Donahue was going to leave Ithaca for Philadelphia. In a report by the Philadelphia Daily News yesterday, sources close to the situation identified Donahue, Miller and Lehigh head coach Billy Taylor as the three finalists for the position, with Miller being Penn’s top choice.

Miller takes over the reigns of a Quaker program that has won at least a share of 10 of the last 14 Ivy titles. He was a former assistant to UConn head coach Jim Calhoun and then led Division III school Connecticut College to the national tournament, reaching the competition’s semifinals in his 1998-99 campaign.

At Brown, Miller guided the Bears to a school-record 12 Ivy League wins and 17 overall wins, earning his squad an NIT berth in the 2002-03 season. He is 54-44 in Ivy League play, and the Bears finished in fifth place in the conference last year.

No Brown coach has as many wins as Miller in their first six seasons. Miller’s teams led the Ivy League in scoring from the 2001-2002 season through the 2004-2005 season.

Archived article by Sun Staff