Around The Ivies

Harvard

Kaavya Viswanatha, the Harvard sophomore who wrote Opal Mehta, has recently been accused of plagiarism. The Harvard Crimson announced yesterday that the publisher has cancelled her two-book contract and the recently released novel will not be re-released.
The Crimson also reported recently that Prof. John K. Galbraith, economics, Harvard, died at 97. “A popular professor,” Galbraith advised five Democratic presidents and was renowned for his humor and wisdom.

Princeton

The Daily Princetonian reported that both former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer spoke at Princeton last weekend. Albright outlined her “14 Points” for foreign policy, promoting a “combination of Wilsonian ideals and enlightened pragmatism.”
Breyer discussed the role of the Constitution in politics and the importance of political participation in a public discussion with Prof. Robert George, politics and constitutional law, Princeton.

Columbia

Art Garfunkel, a 1965 graduate of Columbia College, was honored with the third annual I.A.L. Diamond Award at Columbia last weekend, according to The Columbia Daily Spectator. The award is given to a Columbia alumnus who has made great contributions to the performing arts.
Columbia pledged Friday to divest from 18 firms that conduct business in Sudan; the decision was partially based on a presentation by the student-run Columbia University Sudan Divestment Task Force last November.

Archived article by