Former Captain Returns as Coach

Her teammates used to call her L. Rob — now they call her coach. Lyndsay Robinson ’06 is back on the women’s lacrosse team playing a different position. The former two-time team captain will fill the role of assistant coach for the upcoming 2007 season.

Head coach Jenny Graap ’86 is confident with Robinson’s abilities and feels that it has been a smooth transition from player to coach. She will continue being an important part of the team as she takes on the responsibilities left by Abbi Hills and begins to see the program from the sideline of the field.

Graap values Robinson’s approachability, as she is able to mediate between the players and coaches.

“What stood out about Lyndsay for her four years was her maturity,” Graap said. “Her familiarity with the lacrosse program is a wonderful benefit.”

Her experiences through the successful seasons — including an ECAC championship her freshman year and a share of the Ivy League Title her senior year — as well as the rough ones — such as a 6-9 (3-4 Ivy) record her sophomore year — have added to her abilities as assistant coach.

“[Robinson] has learned through the struggles and brings with her a kind of wisdom and good perspective,” Graap said.

Robinson’s skills on the field aren’t the only things that she is bringing back to the team. Her organizational skills and office capabilities are coming into play.

“We tap into her AEM [Applied Economics and Management] background on a daily basis,” Graap said.

Through her career as a student at Cornell, Robinson learned how to successfully balance the academic rigors with her extracurricular activities and left a great impression with her coach.

“She took advantage of everything,” Graap said. “She proved it’s possible for young women to take on all of that.”

Robinson is just as excited as Graap, about the new challenges ahead of her.
She feels that this will be a memorable experience and believes that coming back to Cornell was what she wanted to do most.

“Coaching at my alma mater was a great fit,” Robinson said.

One of the biggest changes she will face will be a positional one. Being first a midfielder at the start of her career and later moving to defense at the close of her playing time with the Red, Robinson will have to take on all of the positions when working as an assistant coach with the team. She’s not worried, though. Rather, Robinson is excited about being able to work with more players on the team and getting a greater education in lacrosse.
With a newfound appreciation for the coaching staff, she is glad to be experiencing the lacrosse program from the other side.

“I come to work everyday and I’m happy to be here,” Robinson said.
Graap is certain that Robinson will be a confident and capable leader and that her experience as captain will help ease the transition into the coaching staff.

No matter what name Robinson goes by, her enthusiasm and love for the game will remain a valuable contribution to her team.