Farrell Joins W. Lacrosse’s U.S. Team

Despite all of her accolades, junior Courtney Farrell was still shocked when she heard she was named to the U.S. Women’s Lacrosse developmental team in early August. Farrell tried out for the squad with over 130 of women’s lacrosse’s top collegiate athletes at the University of Maryland in Baltimore County. The developmental team consists of 22 players and helps its members familiarize with international competition. With continuing success, the third-year attacker might even earn a chance to play on the senior international level. Keeping consistent with her performance so far at Cornell, Farrell stood out from her opposition.

“I was really surprised, I couldn’t ask for anything better,” Farrell said.
It shouldn’t be anything new for the accomplished Farrell — she earned first team honors in the Ivy League and the region after her 2006 campaign, in which she scored 52 points. In addition, she is eighth on the school’s single-season points list and sixth in assists. Head coach Jenny Graap ’86 was pleased with the news but wasn’t too surprised either.

“She is our leading scorer, with very polished offensive skills,” Graap said. “She’s a very dynamic attacker.”
With only two years under her belt, Graap anticipates even more success for Farrell.

“She has a lot to still improve on,” Graap said. “It is really exciting because she has not reached her pinnacle yet.”

Although Farrell has yet to show her full potential, her place on the women’s developmental team will help her get there. The developmental team has two weekends of competition scheduled ahead, with the Stars and Stripes Weekend on September 30- Oct.1 in Northern Virginia and the Champions Challenge Weekend on Jan. 27-28 in Orlando, Fla. During these games, the developmental team, coached by Dartmouth’s Amy Patton, will take on some of women’s lacrosse’s top collegiate programs.

“I am hoping to learn a lot from the experience and bring it to the team this year,” Farrell said.

It won’t be the only experience that Farrell will learn from as she will draw on last year’s NCAA tournament first round defeat to Notre Dame for motivation. After ending the 2006 season with a 12-4 record and a share of the Ivy League title, Farrell is anticipating an even more successful season as the Red returns 11 of last season’s top-12 scorers.

Despite the core of the squad returning intact, Graap insists that the team will be different.

“Last year is totally over and the 2007 team will be very different group,” Graap said.

In order for this year’s team to etch their mark in the history books of Cornell women’s lacrosse, Farrell will have to help lead the way. One thing that the rising Applied Economics and Management major will be asked to do is become more dependable with her play.

“I want her to work on her consistency,” Graap said. “I want her to bring that magic to every practice, every game.”

Hopefully by working with the U.S. developmental team, Farrell’s magic will be on display all the time.