Cornell Readies to Face Yale on Berman Field

Mired in a few ugly streaks, the women’s soccer team will look to turn its season around this weekend against Yale.

The Red (1-9-1, 0-3 Ivy) comes into this contest on a nine-game losing streak and a 10-game winless streak. In fact, since winning its opener back on Sept. 3, the Red has scored just five goals in 10 games.

The Bulldogs (6-5-1, 2-1), however, will show the Red no mercy. Yale, ranked No. 10 in the Northeast, is coming off a tough 1-0 road loss to Dartmouth, and will be looking to rebound against the Red. The Green (7-3-1, 3-0 Ivy) took over sole possession of first place in the Ivy League with the gritty win. The Bulldogs have won five of their last seven games, and feature a balanced, dynamic attack that could pose trouble for the Red.

“Yale is definitely one of the stronger teams in the league, but we have been raising and lowering our level of performance relative to the strength of the team, so hopefully we will step up to the challenge,” said interim head coach Gretchen Zigante.

Game time is set for 12 p.m. Saturday, in the friendly confines of Berman Field. However, home has been anything but sweet for the Red, where it has gone winless and scored just one goal this season.

Despite the losing streaks, Zigante notes that her team has been practicing and competing very well, and she is pleased with the positive attitude she sees in her team.

“I think we have been playing quite well, but we need to start scoring. That has been our problem. We are getting opportunities, but we just aren’t putting the ball in the net — when that happens we’ll be fine. The defense and the midfield have been playing very well,” Zigante said.

Junior Leslie Campbell and senior Mira MacLennan, the team’s co-captains, anchor a strong Red defense that has been among the team’s bright spots. In the middle, senior Jessica Snyder has been having an outstanding season.

The Red forwards, however, will have to start producing if the team is to pull off the upset over Yale. Led by senior Caitlin Oliver, the Red offense has been working hard in practice, and hopes to start seeing results.

Sophomore Emma Whitfield, who has three goals and four assists, leads the explosive Yale offense. Senior captain Christina Huang anchors a stingy Bulldog defense that has proved tough for even the most high-powered offenses to penetrate this season.