C.U. Creates New Vice Provost Position, Appoints Paau

Alan Paau, assistant vice chancellor for technology transfer and intellectual property services at the University of California at San Diego, has been named vice provost for technology transfer and economic development and the executive director of the Cornell Center for Technology, Enterprise and Commercialization, the University announced yesterday.

Paau, who has been the leader of the technology transfer office at UCSD since 1998, will be the first person to hold this new vice provost title at Cornell.

“He will be a key player in helping Cornell realize its goals to protect intellectual property and transform discoveries into products and services that benefit inventors, the University and the public,” said Provost Biddy Martin.

CCTEC integrates the University’s Office of IP Management and Licensing in Ithaca and at Weill Medical College in New York City, the Cornell Research Foundation and the Office of Economic Development.

“His experience in health sciences technology transfer at UCSD will enhance similar efforts at Weill Cornell Medical College, where Paau will spend approximately 40 percent of his time,” said President David Skorton.

Paau’s appointment is still subject to approval by the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees. If approved, Paau will assume his duties on Jan. 1.