Sprint Stays Undefeated

In a performance that typifies the Cornell season, the Red dominated both sides of the football on its way to a 21-7 defeat of Penn this past Friday night on Schoellkopf Field.

While holding the Quakers (0-3, 0-2 CSFL) to just 29 yards rushing, the Red (5-0, 3-0) ran all over the Penn defense on its way to piling up 216 yards of its own. Junior Glenn Palmer led the Red attack with 82 yards — including a 1-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter that sealed the Red victory.

[img_assist|nid=19129|title=sprint|desc=The sprint football defense stops a ballcarrier during a 21-7 victory over Penn on Friday, marking the first time the Red has defeated the Quakers twice in a season since 1994.|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=70]
“[Penn] was really sitting on [senior co-captain Michael] Fullowan so that gave Palmer the chance to really step up,” said head coach Terry Cullen. “This was probably the best game of [Palmer’s] career.”

After kicking the ball away to start the game, the Red quickly regained possession by recovering a Penn fumble just minutes into the first quarter. Cornell would need only seven plays to put its first points on the board as Fullowan was able to pound the ball into the end-zone from three yards out. Senior kicker Jason Zittel put the extra point through the uprights to make it 7-0.

“It’s really good to convert those turnovers into scores,” Cullen said. “That really got us off on the right foot.”

Despite getting the quick score, the Cornell offense could muster little forward progress until late in the second quarter. Fullowan put the exclamation point on a 40-yard drive by scoring a 10-yard touchdown that put the Red on top 14-0 after Zittel added another extra-point.

Cornell’s offensive efforts were matched by similar success on defense as the Red allowed only three first downs and 61 yards in the first half. The Red’s physical front line not only completely stuffed any Quaker attempts to run the ball but also harassed senior quarterback Mike Loguidice throughout the game.

“[Logudice] is one of the best players in the league,” Cullen said. “Our defense played so well though that we didn’t give him any chance to beat us.”

With both teams struggling offensively after the half, the score remained 14-0 until mid-way through the fourth quarter. Palmer was stopped at the goal line, but made a second effort and burst over the goal line for the Red’s final score. Zittel again added the extra-point to make it 21-0, securing Cornell’s lead late in the contest.

In a last-ditch effort, Logudice showed how dangerous he could be by connecting with sophomore Mike D’Angelo for a 23-yard touchdown pass to finally put the Quakers on the board. Time was not on Penn’s side, however, as the clock would expire soon thereafter to leave Cornell’s unbeaten streak intact.

In his quietest game of the season, sophomore quarterback Zak Dentes completed just seven passes — all to senior Sam Coe — for 39 yards.

On the defensive side of the ball, sophomore John Parke spear-headed the Red’s strong effort, leading the team with 13 tackles. Junior Cameron Johnson added eight tackles, while senior Matt Collin racked up two sacks.