Clarkson, St. Lawrence Join Red Atop Standings

On a weekend where Cornell picked up two road victories, there were 10 other ECACHL league games, the first full-slate of the year. Clarkson and St. Lawrence were the only other teams that came away with 4-point weekends, leaving them in a three-way tie for first with Cornell atop the early-season standings. Both of their wins came against Harvard and Dartmouth, the very same teams that Cornell is set to face this weekend.

Rensselaer 4, Princeton 3 (OT)

Sophomore Seth Klerer put home the game winner with just 13 seconds remaining in overtime to give the Engineers the victory at home on Friday night. Princeton was down 3-1, but managed to score two goals, including one with just 40 seconds left in regulation, to force overtime. RPI prevailed, however, despite being out-shot 39-13.

Quinnipiac 8, Union 3

Freshman Brandon Wong’s hat-trick paced the Bobcats on the road en route to a convincing win on Friday night. Six unanswered goals in the second period blew open the game. Bud Fisher made 21 saves in the win, which extended Quinnipiac’s unbeaten streak to six.

Yale 2, Colgate 1

Alec Richards made 23 saves in Hamilton, N.Y., this past Friday as Yale was able to upset Colgate, who was picked by many to win the ECACHL. Yale overcame an early deficit, and Matt Nelson netted the game winner in the third period to claim the win.

St. Lawrence 2, Dartmouth 1 (OT)

After two evenly played scoreless periods, T.J. Galiardi put the Green on the score sheet just over two minutes into the third. However, Shawn Fensel knotted it up for the Saints and Charlie Griffin tipped home the winner with 26 seconds remaining in overtime in Hanover, N.H. Alex Petizian made 22 saves in the victory on Friday.

Clarkson 5, Harvard 2

Harvard was able to stake a 2-1 lead, but four unanswered Clarkson goals overpowered the Crimson in a big early-season road win for the Golden Knights Friday night in Cambridge, Mass. Nick Dodge scored what proved to be the game winner with six minutes to go in the second as Clarkson rolled to a convincing victory.

Quinnipiac 2, Rensselaer 2 (OT)

In the second overtime game in as many nights for RPI, Jake Morissette tallied a goal and an assist to extend the Engineer’s unbeaten streak to four games on Saturday. Quinnipiac tied the game at two with just over seven minutes remaining in the second period to extend its own unbeaten streak to six games.

Union 4, Princeton 3 (OT)

Olivier Bouchard scored the game-winner with just over a minute to play in overtime to give Union the home victory on Saturday. Lee Jubinville scored two goals in a losing cause.

Colgate 6, Brown 6 (OT)

With just 16.4 seconds remaining and the extra attacker on the ice, the Bears’ Jeff Prough bulged the twine to tie the game at six and send it to overtime much to the delight of the Providence, R.I., crowd. Brown, which out-shot Colgate 50-27, overcame a 3-1 deficit to come back and tie the game. Colgate led 3-2 going into the third period, which proved to be a wild one.
The teams combined for seven goals in the final stanza, including six in the final 9:31. Sean Hurley scored two goals for the Bears, while Marc Fulton netted two for the Raiders, including his 7th of the still-early season.

Clarkson 6, Dartmouth 3

Clarkson jumped out to a 3-0 first period lead and never looked back, despite being out-shot 37-24 on Saturday night. Steve Zalweski scored two goals for the visiting Golden Knights, including the eventual game winner.
He has already found the back of the net eight times on the young season.

St. Lawrence 5, Harvard 4

Harvard scored two third period goals on Saturday in Cambridge, Mass., but it was too-little too-late for the Crimson, who trailed 5-2 heading into the third. Drew Bagnall scored two for the Saints, which withstood a furious Harvard rally, including being out-shot 13-4 in the third, to hold onto the victory.