C.U. Forms Committee to Examine Snow Policy

The University announced Wednesday that it will form an ad hoc committee to review its inclement weather policy after the Feb. 14 campus closure due to heavy snowfall generated some controversy.

A petition circulated the following day that requested President David Skorton, Provost Biddy Martin and Stephen Golding, executive vice president of finance and administration, reexamine inclement weather closing procedures.

Over 1,500 members of the Cornell community have signed the online petition, which was written by Thomas Bruce, director of the Law School’s Legal Information Institute.
Golding, “with input from University officials,” made the decision at 3 a.m. to open the University on Feb. 14.

The new committee will review the petition, the University’s current policy and a report by Golding that evaluates the events of Feb. 14’s closing. The findings will be submitted to Skorton.

Golding and Mary Opperman, vice president for human resources, will lead the committee. The remainder of the committee will include Bruce, Susan Murphy ’73, vice president for student and academic services, Rich McDaniel, vice president for business services and environmental safety, Kyu-Jung Whang, vice president for facilities services, Dean of the Faculty Charles Walcott, Employee-Elected Trustee Michael Esposito and two deans as well as representatives from the Employee Assembly and the Provost’s Office.