Netters Host New York Rivals

The men’s and women’s tennis teams are looking to keep their winning streaks alive this weekend, as the Red hosts Buffalo and Stony Brook at Reis Tennis Center.
The women will take on the Bulls at 9 a.m. tomorrow and the Seawolves Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. On Sunday, the men will take the court against Buffalo and Stony Brook at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. as well.
Coming off a successful campaign against Army and Farleigh Dickinson at home last weekend, the men’s team has improved to 3-1 and has gained some momentum. Senior tri-captain Dan Brous likes his team’s chances against its smaller in-state rivals.
“The competition looks like it’s going to be alright, but I think we’re going to be the favorite in both of these matches,” Brous said. “By now we’ve won a few matches in a row, so we have some confidence. We just have to go out there and try to keep the ball rolling.”
Last weekend, Buffalo (2-3) fell to Brown, 6-1, with senior Yules Hadisubroto earning the Bulls’ lone win at fifth singles.
Stony Brook (3-3) handed Bucknell a loss, 6-1, and swept Lehigh, 7-0, last week. The Seawolves have already fallen, however, to Brown and Dartmouth this season.
The Red’s depth has given it the luxury thus far of completely changing singles lineups between back-to-back matches, giving twice as many players a chance to compete.
“I know [head coach Barry Schoonmaker] has plans to split up the usual starting lineup since we are the heavy favorite in two back-to-back matches,” Brous said. “A few normal starters will play in each match, and some of the other guys will get more experience for later on in the season.”
The women’s team is also looking to protect its 3-1 record this weekend, after having beaten Albany, Army and Temple.
The Stony Brook women (2-2), like their male classmates, also defeated Patriot League opponents Bucknell and Lehigh last weekend, but by a score of 5-2 in each match. The Seawolves pair of losses came in matches against Army and Dartmouth.
“We play Stony Brook every year,” said senior co-captain Nisha Suda. “The boys will play Stony Brook at the same time. We’ll have one team on each side of the tennis center, which will be cool. We can watch each other play, since we never get to see each other.”
Against the Red, the Buffalo women will attempt to keep their undefeated 5-0 record intact. They are coming off a 7-0 sweep of Duquesne last weekend.
“I know Buffalo is a pretty tough team,” Suda said. “They came to our fall invitational, and their doubles are pretty tough.”
Suda and her teammates know what they have to do in order to beat the Bulls.
“The key for us, especially against Buffalo, is winning the doubles point,” Suda said. “When we played Army last weekend, we lost the doubles point, which really puts you in a hole right away. Then you have to win four of the singles matches instead of just three. We’re looking to hit the ground running and get the early lead.”