Tennis Gears Up for Tough Opponents

The men’s and the women’s tennis teams are gearing up for some tough competition this weekend. The men will have a full weekend as they travel to play both Georgetown and Maryland while the women stay in Ithaca to take on UMass.

The men’s team has enjoyed a six-game winning streak, but faces two intimidating opponents this weekend. According to head coach Barry Schoonmaker both Georgetown and Maryland present a challenge and are worthy opponents for the Red.

“Both are a threat and both are tougher than the recent teams we have been playing,” he said. “Georgetown is the most improved team in the northeast, while Maryland is ranked much higher than we are. We have nothing to lose against Maryland. The ACC is the best tennis league in the country.”
[img_assist|nid=21994|title=Full extension|desc=Senior co-captain Dan Brous serves it overhand in a match against Army on Feb. 24.|link=none|align=left|width=58|height=100]
Maryland, the top team in the Atlantic Coast Conference, remains undefeated in ACC play this season. Georgetown’s sole loss is to Maryland, illustrating the high level of play that this weekend promises for the Red.

Despite the daunting competition, Schoonmaker maintains the team’s confidence and asserts that they’re ready for the challenge. A potential obstacle is the location of the matches. If the matches are played outside, the Red will be at a significant disadvantage; the team has not played outside since October. Other than this possible impediment, the team is looking forward to the challenge.

“It is time to see how we stack up against the better teams,” Schoonmaker said.

The women’s team faces UMass this Saturday at the Reis Tennis Center at noon. UMass has had some close matches recently, but the Red remains steadfast.

“UMass is a very good team. They lost some close matches to Columbia and Dartmouth, 4-3, and they beat Army, 4-3, last weekend so we will have to play well to beat them on Saturday,” said head coach Laura Glitz.

The Red faced UMass in the fall in a mock dual match and beat them 6-1. Though the mock dual served merely as practice and did not count toward the team’s record, it boosts the Red’s confidence heading into this weekend.

“I think we have a very good chance of winning, but as always I know you never take any opponent lightly,” Glitz said.

The Red has maintained its undefeated record and looks to continue this winning record with the match against UMass.

“The team has been working unbelievably hard in practices and workouts so I know we are better prepared for our dual matches this season,” Glitz said.