Softball Tackles Siena In First Home Series

This afternoon the softball team is taking a break from its Ivy League schedule to face Siena in the team’s first home series of the season. The Red will play a doubleheader on Niemand-Robinson Softball Field with the first game beginning at 3:00 p.m. and the second at 5:00 p.m.

“Our field is in great shape. We’re excited about that,” said head coach Dick Blood.

Last year, the Red dominated its cross-state rival in the team’s two meetings, winning 4-0 and 8-0 respectively. [img_assist|nid=22510|title=Driving force.|desc=Junior Jenn Meunier and the softball team will play its first home game of the season today against Siena at 3 p.|link=node|align=left|height=100]

Junior Jenn Meunier pitched the first game last year and earned a complete game shutout. The offense was sparked by sophomore Meghan Risica’s home run. Whitney Smith ’06 started the second game on the mound before sophomore Haley Mirrer took over in the seventh inning. Mirrer also contributed with the bat, hitting a two-run home run in the top half of the seventh inning.

“I think we were fortunate last year. They have a very solid club,” Blood said. “We will be tested.”

The Red (21-7, 3-1 Ivy) is hoping for similar results this year. Meunier will start the first game while Mirrer is expected to get the nod in the second. So far this season, the softball team sports a .750 winning percentage despite playing all of its games on the road.

“I don’t know if it will be a whole lot different,” said freshman Dana Robbins. “But you always feel a little bit more comfortable at home.”

The Red spent Tuesday adjusting to the conditions of its home field.

“We had a great day [in practice] with as many groundballs and fly balls as you can hit,” Blood said.

After the team’s early success away from Cornell, expectations are high for what the team can accomplish at home.

One reason for this success has been freshman Alyson Intihar, who was rewarded for her performances by being named Ivy League Rookie of the Week. Last weekend, Intihar batted .533, hit two home runs and had the game-winning steal of home plate in the team’s 2-1 win over Yale.

“She was very deserving. She had quite a week,” Blood said. “She banged the ball and had [27] chances in the field without an error.”

Meunier was also recognized, as she was named to the Ivy League honor roll. During the weekend, she pitched two complete games, striking out nine and recording two wins.

She now has a team-high twelve wins on the season. Meunier was also named Ivy League Pitcher of the Week earlier in the season.

“She pitched very solid softball [last weekend],” Blood said. “She really set the tone for us defensively. Each of those games was tight. We needed her to be tough and she was tough.”