CNN Demotes 2007 Speaker

Soledad O’Brien, the upcoming speaker at this year’s Convocation, will be replaced as an anchor on CNN’s flagship morning program American Morning, the network announced earlier this week.

O’Brien and co-anchor Miles O’Brien (no relation) will stay on with CNN as special correspondents, according to CNN President Jonathan Klein.

The Sun originally reported O’Brien would be the Convocation speaker in yesterday’s edition. The announcement was officially made at last night’s Student Assembly meeting by Senior Class President Eddy Gumbs ’07. Convocation chair Janine Stanisz ’07 declined to comment further on the speaker later yesterday evening.

While announcing the changes at American Morning, Klein said that the show’s lagging ratings led the network to revamp the program.

“We think we can do even better, and we think the show deserves to,” Klein said in a telephone news conference.

John Roberts and Kiran Chetry will take over as anchors on American Morning. Roberts has been at CNN since leaving CBS last year and has filled in as an anchor on the show in the past. Chetry came to CNN in February from the Fox News Channel.

Correction appended: “CNN Demotes 2007 Speaker” incorrectly states that Soledad O’Brien was “demoted.” O’Brien actually moved on from her position as a co-anchor for CNN’s American Morning to a new role as a CNN anchor and special correspondent. The Sun regrets this error.