Stop With The Cock Jokes

Mr. Woodcock. I thought that would be a sexual euphemism. Guess not. Anyway, Mr. Woodcock stars two of Hollywood’s most renowned stars with three names: Seann William Scott and Billy Bob Thornton. Scott plays John Farley, author of a national bestselling self-help book called Letting Go: Getting Past Your Past, who returns home to his small Nebraska town to accept a prestigious town award, the “Corn Cob Key.” Surprising his mother Beverly (Susan Sarandon), he’s greeted by the mind-blowing news that Beverly is dating Jasper Woodcock (Billy Bob Thornton), his former middle school PE teacher. Woodcock’s PE is like a boot camp that not only condones but wholeheartedly endorses child abuse. Embittered by his years as Woodcock’s whipping boy, Farley tries to break up the relationship. The bitter rivalry between Woodcock and Farley escalates and hilarity ensues.

I’m not going to bash this movie. Although predictable and flawed it was fun to watch. Thornton seems to reprise the same type of role he has performed so admirably in recent years, though, surprisingly, sober. His militant crew cut and deadpan glare strike fear into the students of Forest Meadow Middle School PE class. Woodcock’s boot camp consists of asthmatically wheezing kids running laps until they drop, fat kids attempting to do a chin up and students getting basketballs hurled at their heads, courtesy of Woodcock himself.

It was unusual to see Seann William Scott in this type of role. I was expecting him to play the role along the lines of Stifler from American Pie or the outrageous E.L. in Road Trip. However, he played the straight man and while he didn’t do a terrible job, it wasn’t anything to write home about. Someone like Luke Wilson in Old School playing the straight man was great to watch. In Mr. Woodcock, Scott is not nearly as successful. I found myself waiting for him to do something Stifler-like. When he finally does, it just comes off as forced.

The supporting cast helps balance the movie out. Amy Poehler, from Saturday Night Live, plays Farley’s alcohol guzzling publicist who berates everyone from afar. Her few scenes are fun to watch. Also, the drastically slimmed down Ethan Suplee, from NBC’s My Name is Earl, adds some laughs to the scenes without Thornton. Susan Sarandon as Farley’s mother is the only character who seems happy – she wears a cheery smile throughout the movie. Everyone else is miserable, even Woodcock, which helps explain why he’s such a hard-ass. However, I found her casting to be kind of pointless. Also, an Oscar winning actress should have better roles to play.

Opponents of Woodcock might exclaim that Thornton and Sarandon should have their Oscars repossessed for making such a despicable film. I think that is harsh. What were you really expecting out of a PG-13 comedy? Thornton did his job well.

At ninety minutes I did find the movie too long. Towards the end it becomes a little serious as certain characters realize the errors of their ways and try to rectify them. The necessity of resolution drags down the rest of the film. Mr. Woodcock is best described as a rollercoaster ride. It has its peaks and it has its slumps and keeps fluctuating throughout. The peaks are those scenes with Billy Bob Thornton and the troughs or slumps occur when Seann William Scott is acting serious with Beverly.

Comedy in Hollywood has changed. Now, in the Judd Apatow era of adult crude humor, all comedies will be compared to Knocked Up or Superbad. With a PG-13 rating, Mr. Woodcock can’t go the distance with the Apatow movies, but for the rating you get some good laughs from Thornton and company. Thornton carries the film and is hilarious to watch. It would have been nice to see a little more of him though. Watching him tell a kid to lose the asthma or get over his parents’ deaths without cracking a smile makes the movie worth watching.