Red Finishes Fall Season, Heads to Philadelphia for the Big 5 Classic

A popular golf saying claims that the most important distance in golf is the six inches between the ears.
The golf team’s success last week at the Delaware Invitational should give them the confidence needed to shore up those six inches that are said to be so vital.
The Red wraps up its fall season this weekend at the Big 5 Classic in Philadelphia. The tournament is hosted by Penn and welcomes teams from all over the country. Cornell’s title last week in Delaware came against Penn and many other schools that will also be competing at the Big 5 this weekend. The Red comes into this weekend’s event as serious contenders, fresh off its recent win in Delaware. That tournament provided some extremely valuable lessons and experiences for the team that players hope will prove useful come this weekend.
“Last week validated that we can compete in tournaments if we all play well,” said senior co-captain Robbie Fritz.
The Big 5 Classic will be played Saturday and Sunday at the Philadelphia Cricket Club’s ‘Wissahickon’ course, a demanding and lengthy layout that should provide a challenge for all competitors. Fritz, who individually finished in a tie for fourth overall in Delaware, sees this weekend as a tremendous opportunity to build on the team’s success. The Red golfers have been fine-tuning their games and know what to expect when their tee-times arrive on Saturday. Fritz describes the Cricket Club’s design as easier off the tees, but with potential for trouble.
“[We have been] practicing [our] short games quite a bit because one of the tricky parts around the golf course this weekend is around the greens,” Fritz said.
A strong showing this weekend in Philly will only add to what has already been a memorable fall season. The Big 5 Classic presents the opportunity for the Red to head into their break on a high-note. Senior co-captain Chad Bernstein and sophomore Rob Cronheim, in addition to Fritz, have been playing well as of late, putting te Red in good shape heading into the tournament.
Fritz emphasized the importance of the contributions of other teammates as well.
“[Both Perry and Jaye] have the potential to go just as low as anyone on the team.”
Regardless of the outcome, Fritz maintains that the fall season has been a huge success.
“We’ve played great,” he said. “This is by far the best year since I’ve been on the team. … We’re finally getting the respect we deserve when we’re out there playing.”