Field Hockey Upsets No. 19 Syracuse, 3-2, on Road

In one of the biggest upsets in recent program history, the field hockey team toppled the 19th-ranked Syracuse Orange last nigh, 3-2.
The win was the Red’s second in a row after losing four straight at home. The triumph also marked the squad’s first victory over a ranked opponent since 2002 and the second over Syracuse in program history — a span of 29 games.
The Red was outshot 19-11 and Syracuse had nine penalty corners to the Orange’s four. But the Red had the advantage on the scoreboard after freshman Catie DeStio netted the game-winning goal. DeStio also assisted the Red’s first goal to junior Brenna Gulotta.
Sophomore Natalie Appleton scored the second Red goal, the first of her career, to put Cornell up 2-0.
Syracuse, however, showed why it was a ranked team as it came out came fighting in the second half. A quick goal by Jessica Lerew got the Orange within one. After DeStio scored the Red’s third goal, the Red defense continued to bend but not break, giving up a goal to Brittany Angellella with 15 minutes remaining.
Junior Shannon Prescott and the defense held until the buzzer sounded. Prescott had a season-high 11 saves, including eight in the first half.
With the Syracuse win under its belt, the team now looks to its final two home games of the season which will be back-to-back, tomorrow and Sunday, against Lock Haven and Siena, respectively. The Red will honor its two seniors, goalie Lizzie Goldblatt and co-captain Kaite Bradshaw, during their last home game on Sunday.
The 13-5 Lady Eagles of Lock Haven bring a four-game winning streak to Schoellkopf Field. The team’s most recent win came in a 3-1 tilt with Yale.
Siena has struggled on the season and complied a 2-11 record with its only two wins coming over Robert Morris and Fairfield.
The Red has encountered many ups and downs this season, but players insist the team will always be able to bounce back after tough losses.
“We’re a resilient team,” said senior co-captain Katie Bradshaw. “We’re not going to let those losses hold us back.”
The Red will now try to bring its momentum into the final stretch of the season that includes its final two home games this weekend.
“We want to take it one game at a time and not get too far ahead of ourselves,” said head coach Donna Hornibrook. “Our expectations have been to improve after each and every game. If we do that, then we’ll keep winning.”