Cornell Dominates at Heps Tune-Up

In their final meet before Heps, the men’s and women’s track teams continued to demonstrate why they are among the nation’s better teams. Cornell hosted the Marc Deneault Memorial Invitational over the weekend, welcoming Ithaca College, Rochester University, St. Lawrence and several other schools to Barton Hall on Saturday.
Both the men and women had the MVPs of the Invite. Junior Eric Roneker won his second straight MVP for the men, while sophomore Jessica Weyman took home MVP honors for the women. Roneker won the weight throw and shot put, while Weyman won the 300-meter dash — an event in which the Red took the top-4 spots — with the second-best time in school history.
As it has in meets throughout the season, the women’s team won numerous events. Freshman Mecha Santos won the 60-meter dash just ahead of two of her teammates. Classmate Kate Murdoch also won the 500-meter event.
In addition to its results in the short-distance races, Cornell was successful in the longer-distance events. Senior Anjelica Gregory was victorious in the one-mile run, and junior Amanda Wheat led a first-through-third-place Cornell sweep of the 600-meter run. In the 800-meter run, Kim Standridge placed first while her teammates captured five of the next six best times.
Junior Joan Casey blazed through the 60-meter hurdle in 8.88 seconds, earning first place in an event where Cornell owned the top-3 times.
In the field events, sophomore Natalie Gengel continued her dominance in the pole vault with another victory. In the high jump, Sarah Wilfred ’07 returned to Ithaca to take first place, as she did many times during her Cornell career.
Junior Jessica Retelny, who placed third in the 60-meter dash, won the long jump with a 5.59-meter jump.
“I was pleased with my performance,” Retelny said. “This season has been a little rocky for me, but I had consistent jumps and I’m excited for next week because I feel like I can get to the next level.”
Freshman Cassilyn Schweighofer led the way in the shot put, while junior Maria Matos finished first in the weight throw. In total, the Red women won 11 events.
“[The meet] was important because we can now know exactly where we are going into the championship meet,” Retelny said.
On the men’s side, a large contingent of the Red did not participate in the event, instead electing to ensure that they are well rested for Heps next weekend.[img_assist|nid=28157|title=Slow and steady is old news|desc=The men’s and women’s track teams each won 11 events this weekend.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
“For some guys it was just a chance to have a week off,” said junior Eric Roneker. “A lot of the guys didn’t compete, but for some of the other guys needed to secure a spot for Heps.”
The men who did compete were able to find success. Senior Dave Mangel won the 60-meter dash, and in the 800-meter dash, junior Nate Crabtree led a group of three Red runners to place in the top-4 by winning the event.
Sophomore Mike Kippins and junior Kojo Degraft-Hansen finished first and second, respectively, in the 500-meter run. Junior Andrew Levy won the 800-meter run by more than a full second.
Freshman Max Kasak led the way in the 3000-meter run. Red runners were victorious in both the 4×400 and 4×800 relay events.
In the field events, sophomore Josh Kirkpatrick won the pole vault. By the end of the meet, the men totaled 11 event wins to match the women.