Squash Teams’ Results Mixed in Individual Championships

The CSA Individual Championships can be viewed as collegiate squash’s version of the Pro Bowl. While the Red fell short of attaining team victory last week at Nationals, they were able to send three of their own to Annapolis this past weekend for the Potter and Maloy Cups. The women competed in Annapolis as well, with four team members comepting in the Holleran and Ramsay Cups.
Sophomores Chris Sachvie, Steven Peever, and freshman McKay Claghorn all competed at Individuals this past weekend, coming off the heels of their postseason run in Boston last week. Sachvie, the Red’s top player, defeated Princeton’s Santiago Imberton in a four-game thriller. In his next round, he faced Kimlee Wong, also of Princeton. Unfortunately, he could not top this Ivy foe, losing the match 9-5, 9-6, 9-4. [img_assist|nid=28514|title=Fly boys|desc=The men’s and women’s squash teams sent members to the CSA Individual National Championships this weekend, at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Peever also went 1-1 on the weekend, beating Jacob Stock (9-3, 9-6, 9-5) before falling to Todd Ruth (10-8, 9-1, 3-9, 7-9, 9-4). In addition, Claghorn lost his first match to Asad Kahn of Denison in five games. In the consolation match, he defeated GWU’s Jarryd Comerford.
The men’s team ended their season ranked eleventh in the country.
The women also faced off at the CSA Individual Championships at the US Naval Academy. During the tournament, four Cornell players battled in the Holleran and Ramsay Cups. Freshman Jennifer Gemmell, junior Alex Cornett, sophomore Annie Ritter, and sophomore Liza Stokes.
At the Ramsay Cup, Gemmell took control of the Red’s progress as the main player in the tournament; nevertheless, Gemmell lost two starts, falling to June Tiong (9-1, 9-2, 9-6) in the first round and then to Casey Riley (9-6, 2-9, 9-2, 10-9) of Princeton in four matches.
The Red women fared better in the Holleran Cup, with all three Cornell players winning their opening matches.
Cornett handily defeated Bates’ Jennifer Imrich in straight sets (9-5, 9-4, 9-5) and will go on to battle Yale’s Jessica Balderston in the next round.
Ritter also won her first match easily, overpowering Tufts’ Stephanie Marx in 3-stragiht match victories (9-1, 9-1, 9-2) before getting defeated in her second match by Menusha Hettiarchachi (6-9, 9-2, 9-5, 9-3) in a close bout.
Lastly, coming off of a great season, Stokes won her first match against Mount Holyoke’s Laurian Lue Yen (9-6, 9-1, 9-5) in straight sets. With a victory behind her, Stokes will proceed to face Yale’s Caroline Reigeluth in the next round of the CSA Individual Championships.