Smellerific: On Originality

After smelling guy after guy wearing Le Male at various clubs over spring break, I have come to the conclusion that Jean-Paul Gaultier ‘s popularity in the U.S. is starting to rival its European counterpart (read: it’s really effing popular). I don ‘t believe everyone understands what a fragrance truly represents.
It is ironic then, that Jean-Paul Gaultier captured the essence of a scent when he said that “A fragrance is the first garment you wear on your skin.” If everyone treated the perfume they wore as an article of clothing, many practices would change.
First of all, people would have more var­iety in their fragrances. You don’t wear pea coats in July so don’t wear heavy scents during the summer. Second, do you wear the same shirt every day of the year? No, you have a closet full of clothes. Having a rotation of scents saves you from wearing the same fragrance all the time.
Thirdly, and most importantly, would you dress like everyone else on campus? As Sun columnist Martin Am­brose might attest to, everyone should have their own unique style; both in the clothes and fra­­grances they wear.
Lastly, maybe if fragrances were considered clothes, I wouldn ‘t have to sneak them through airport security…