Glynn Eyes Fourth Title

When a partially torn ACL came back to haunt senior co-captain John Glynn in his sophomore campaign at Cornell, it was a huge disappointment to sit out an entire season. Down but not out, Glynn returned in his junior year with a vengeance, playing an important role as a midfielder and scoring the game-winning goal against Albany in the NCAA quarterfinals.
“Just not playing, I really kind of took a different view on the team,” Glynn said. “Last year, when I got the chance to come back and start playing the game, it was definitely more rewarding.”
Despite solid play his entire junior season, nothing was more rewarding for Glynn than his team’s effort against Albany. With stands filled to the brim with fans, including family and friends, Glynn capitalized on an opportunity with four seconds to play in sudden-death overtime, putting the ball past the goalie to win the game and clinch a spot in the Final Four.
“Being at the right place at the right time to score the game winner to elevate us into the Final Four, that was definitely one of the biggest moments in my life so far,” Glynn said.
In spite of earning All-American second-team honors and having a strong season last year, Glynn still feels he has a lot of room for improvement. In addition to enhancing his conditioning, Glynn has been working on his skill at the face-off “X.”
“I’m working on my conditioning to play a full 60 minutes without getting tired and working on my face-offs,” Glynn said. “That’s a spot I’m really trying to improve.”
Before he looks to the Final Four — Glynn wants the senior class to clinch their fourth Ivy League championship title. After all the hard work that he has put forth in order to come back from an injury, becoming a four-time Ivy League champion with his fellow classmates might turn out to be one of the most rewarding aspects of his lacrosse career.
“For my senior class to win four Ivy League championships over a four year span is just something we are looking forward to,” Glynn said. “Hopefully this weekend [against Penn] will lead to that chance to get that opportunity.”