Star Cornell Guard Dale Honored by AP

Cornell sophomore point guard Louis Dale was named to the Associated Press honorable mention All-American team yesterday. Dale’s award marks the first time a Red player has been named to the AP team in over 20 years, since Ken Bantum was an honorable mention honoree in 1985.
Dale, also recently named the Ivy League Player of the Year was instrumental in the Red’s first Ivy League title, not to mention NCAA berth, in 20 years.
“It feels good,” Dale said. “I’m happy about it. It’s pretty cool.”
The 5-11 guard ranked second on the team in Ivy League scoring, with 13.7 ppg. (sixth in the Ivy League) and led the Ivy League in assist with 4.9 per game, 55th in the nation.
Dale was awarded the Ivy League Player of the Week award three times, and was at or near the top of almost every statistical category including rebounding, steals and free throw percentage, as well as field goal percentage and assist-turnover ratio.
Dale also led the nation in free throw percentage for a good portion of the year, and is currently ranked 7th.
Other highlights of Dale’s Cornell career are easy to find. He scored in double figures in 22 games and was the leading Red scorer eight times, and the team leader in assists 16 times.
Asked whether he was surprised by his nomination, Dale replied, “Yeah, I would say so.” Dale learned of his award second hand, from one of his coaches.
“I was in the locker room today and one of the coaches said congratulations,” Dale said. “I didn’t know what he was talking about.”