Women Split With Brown, Yale; Men Drop Games to Both

Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams each played one close game and one lopsided affair this weekend. The women were able to pull out one of their matches however, beating Yale, but falling to Brown, while the men were not so lucky, losing to both Yale and Brown.
It was a weekend of important Ivy League play for both teams. The women (9-5, 2-3 Ivy) were facing two streaking teams in Brown and Yale. The Bulldogs had won five in a row leading up to its match with the Red, while the Green had lost three in a row coming into the weekend.
History repeated itself for both teams against the Red. On Friday, Cornell got past Brown, 4-3, with the doubles point ultimately deciding the outcome after the two teams split the six singles matches. Cornell registered wins in the second, third and fifth singles matches. Juniors Tamara John and Elizabeth Googe had good afternoons on the singles side, both earning key wins to counter an 8-1 loss on the doubles side. Freshman Ruxandra Dumitrescu was the only Red player to earn wins on both the singles and doubles side.
Saturday brought less success for the women. With the exception of a win by senior Dana Cruite at No. 4 singles, the Red dropped all of its matches to the Bulldogs. The win helped Yale maintain its top spot in the Ivy League at a perfect 5-0. [img_assist|nid=29835|title=Right foot, right stomp|desc=Junior Tamara John reaches for a backhand during the Red’s 6-1 loss to Yale on Saturday. John lost both her doubles matches on the weekend, but had a key singles win Friday against Brown.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
The men (6-11, 1-4 Ivy) also had a close match, but against Yale. Like the women’s match against Brown, the game’s deciding point came from doubles because the teams split the singles matches. Cornell won the bottom half of the matchups. Sophomore Jonathan Fife, senior Rory Heggie and freshman Jonathan Jaklitsch each won their matches in straight sets. Yale took the doubles point by sweeping the three matches.
The day before, against Brown, the men didn’t have any better luck, losing 6-1. The Bears, who moved into second in the Ancient Eight with the victory, swept all matches except the No. 6 singles contest, which freshman Jeremy Feldman took in straight sets, 6-3, 6-0.