M. Lax Skips Slope Day to Play Hobart

Far away from Libe Slope and the debauchery known as “Slope Day,” the men’s lacrosse team will be experiencing Hobart’s version of a college celebration spectacle. Tonight, the Red will sum up its regular season by participating in the first night game ever held at Boswell Field hosted by the Hobart Statesmen.
There is a lot on the line for both Cornell and Hobart. For the Red, this match-up could be the deciding factor in their bid to play in the postseason.
Winning this weekend will arguably be the most important step in the team’s quest to make it back to the Final Four at Gillette Stadium. In addition, head coach Jeff Tambroni will be returning to his alma mater and the setting where he played college lacrosse.
[img_assist|nid=30422|title=Old MacDonald had a stick|desc=Andrew MacDonald (13) sees the ball well in the Red’s 11-7 win over Brown at Schoellkopf Field last Saturday.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
“If we lose this game there is a very large possibility that we won’t be in the postseason,” said senior John Glynn. “This is a must-win. The playoffs started for us last week against Brown, so we just have to keep continuing to win.”
The Statesmen are also playing for a possible shot at the post-season however there is more on the their minds than just a regular season win. Next year, the Statesmen will make the leap from a Division 1 to a Division 3 program. For the players on the squad this season, they will be coming in to this game intent on proving that no matter the division, they are a formidable lacrosse squad. The Red expects Hobart to come out to play and hold nothing back.
“I know a bunch of those guys aren’t happy about that decision so I know they are going to come out flying, because they have the chance to make the playoffs if they beat us,” Glynn said.
To add to the competitive pressure, the Hobart crowd is expected to present in full force and excited to watch two upstate rivals compete under the lights. The Red will not only be combating for a playoff spot but working to maintain focus amidst the uproar of a crowd known for heckling the visiting team. Facing one of the most competitive games in its regular season, the Red knows that playing the brand of lacrosse they have been working to improve all season will be the best way to ignore the gregarious spectators and defeat the Statesmen.
“When we went down there our sophomore year it was crowded and we got barked at but we came out really strong and silenced the crowd,” Glynn said. “Two yards away from the sideline they have beer tent and they just bark right at you and they let you know when you make a bad play. I know they are going to be loud the whole time. We are just going to play our style game.”
most competitive games in its regular season, the Red knows that playing the brand of lacrosse they have been working to improve all season will be the best way to ignore the gregarious spectators and defeat the Statesmen.