July 24, 2008

Eleven New Members Bound for Cornell Hall of Fame

Five All-Americans and an Olympic medalist highlight the Cornell Athletic Hall of Fame’s class of 2008. Eleven new members will be inducted into the Hall on Nov. 7.
The medalist in the class is John Nunn ’64, a varsity heavyweight rower on the 1962 and 1963 crews that won IRA titles who won a bronze medal as the stroke of the double scull in the 1968 Olympic Games. The 1963 crew — undefeated in U.S. collegiate competition — upset the world champion Ratzeburg Club of West Germany on the way to the finals of the Eastern Sprint championships.
The All-Americans who will be inducted are John Griffin ’79, lacrosse; Cari Hills ’98 women’s lacrosse and field hockey; Glen Mueller ’72, lacrosse; Mike Raich ’88, football; and Kate Walker ’97, women’s track and field.
The class is rounded out by Jen Daly ’97, women’s soccer; Rick Fricke ’67, lightweight football and lacrosse; Don Jean ’72, football; Mary LaMacchia ’96, women’s basketball; and Art Wolcott ’49, special category. Wolcott has provided financial support for the athletics at Cornell since 1960. He served on the Athletics Alumni Advisory Committee and was chair from 1986-1989. He is a life member of the Cornell University Council and a Presidential Councilor, the highest honor the university bestows upon an alumnus.
The Hall was opened in 1978 and after this year’s class is inducted, membership will stand at 498.
For more information on the inductees, visit www.cornellbigred.com.