Guide to Getting Down with Your Funky Self

Bill Maher ’78, Sept. 28 in Barton Hall (CUPB)

Whether you loved, hated, or were just confused by Steven Colbert’s performancce last fall, this fall look forward to another sometimes offensive, always honest, except when he’s being satirical, pundit, Bill Maher. We’re not exactly sure what he’s going to talk to us about — although a reading from When You Ride Alone, You Ride with Bin Laden would be pretty freaking sweet — but we’re sure it will include some heavy Cornell mockery, spoiled-college-kid scolding, humor and maybe a teeny bit of edumucation. Make sure you get your tickets early.
Go to www.rso.cornell.edu/cupb/ for more information.

Howie Mandel, Oct. 24, Barton Hall (CUPB)

Howie Mandel, like most Jewish Candian comedians who slightly resemble Mr. Clean (ie: none that we know of), is a renaissance man of the entertainment world: he played Dr. Wayne Fiscus on the before-our-time medical drama St. Elsewhere, created and starred in Saturday morning cartoon Bobby’s World and hosts Deal or No Deal. He’s been in a gagillion other things, including a cameo on My Name is Earl (which, if we’re entirely honest, is the one we remember best). Like Maher, we have absolutely no idea what he’ll bring to his performance, but we’re assuming that he won’t be appearing in cartoon form. Which is too bad, because that would be cool.
(www.rso.cornell.edu/cupb/)

The Decemberists, Nov. 9, Barton Hall (CCC)

Folk-rock band The Decemberists of Portland will be gracing Barton with their musical excellence. Known for their story telling lyrics and sweet, pop rock sounds, they’re definitely worth you procrastinating writing that paper until Monday morning. Check out “The Crane Wife 3” and “The Perfect Crime #2”.

For more on The Decemberists, check out cornellsun.com/node/22365 for an exclusive Daze interview.

The Importance of Being Earnest, Sept. 18-20. 25-27 (Schwartz Center)

Oscar Wilde’s famous satire about two friends in upper-crust Victorian England who scheme, lie and fall in love is the first of the Schwartz Center’s fall lineup. The bad news? No Dame Judi Dench. The good news? Scenic Designer Sarah Lambert ’85 is on board.

$8 for students, $10 for general public.

Savage Grace Screening with Screenwriter Howard Rodman ’71, Sept. 13(Cornell Cinema)

Howard Rodman ’71 is returning for a screening of one of his two summer-released films. If you haven’t seen Savage Grace yet, be forewarned: it’s based on Barbara Daly’s (Julianne Moore) tragic life, including her pretty disturbing relationship with her son. Stunningly shot and sickeningly funny, we recommend you see it with Rodman present.
$6.50 general/$5 seniors/$4 students. For more information, check out cinema.cornell.edu.

Crosby and Nash, Oct. 20(The State Theatre)

Grammy winners and music legends David Crosby and Graham Nash will be performing at the State Theatre in the Commons. If you’re one of those who never leaves campus (shame on you), this is definitely worth the short walk down the hill.
Go to stateofithaca.com for tickets.