Introducing the Big Red: Zac Canty

At 5-foot-8, senior Zac Canty might not fit the prototype of a speedy, tall wide receiver capable of grabbing passes that clear a cornerback’s outstretched hands. But throughout his career on the gridiron, Canty has found a way to consistently outplay his competition.
Canty tied a school record with 10 consecutive games with a reception in 2006. That season he also led the team with 41 receptions for 499 yards while finding the end zone three times.
Last year Canty hauled in 49 receptions to lead the receiving corps. He ranked second on the team with 447 receiving yards and three touchdowns.
Canty will team up with two other upperclassmen to make up the bulk of the Red’s receiving corps. Senior Jesse Baker and junior Bryan Walters combined with Canty for 139 catches and seven touchdowns
Praised for his route-running talents, Canty thrives by drawing a favorable matchup against the defense as the slot receiver where his quick stops and turns can give a cornerback fits.
Canty will enter the 2008 campaign with impressive career numbers: 90 receptions and 946 yards. But with a deep crew of fellow receivers — there is a talented bench of underclassmen in addition to Canty, Baker and Walters — Canty will have to draw quarterback Nathan Ford’s eye in the short passing game in which the Red excels in order to end his career with the Red on a good note.