Cross Country Begins 2008 Season at West Point

Last year, Cornell was not the most gracious host to Army when it traveled to Ithaca. The cross country team swept the Black Knights on both the men’s and women’s side. This year, Cornell will travel to West Point, N.Y., to take on Army, Marist and Williams.
Although Army has a week of competition under its belt, the Cornell men are coming off their fourth straight season in which the team improved. In fact, last season was the men’s best effort in 13 years. And with five of their best runners returning this season, the men are not expecting a downturn.
Neither are the women. The term “rebuild” never seems to apply to the squad as it has consistently challenges for the Heps team title and the ECAC team championship. The five seniors are also among the seven best runners on the team, giving the squad a strong veteran presence.
Army, however, also returns several dominant runners on both the men’s and women’s side. Senior Jonathan Anderson claimed two outdoor track titles in the Patriot League last spring, leading the field in the 5,000-meter and 10,000-meter runs. Senior Meg Curran paced the Black Knight’s women’s team, claiming the 10,000-meter Patriot League title.
Army also has momentum on its side after dominating its first week of competition at the Army Open in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. The top-4 runners were all wearing Army uniforms and crossed the finish line together.
The meet will be the only at West Point this season.