Preventing the Big Play: Safeties Deliver the Hits

When opposing players break through the Red defense’s front lines they know they’d better not cruise casually downfield for two reasons: senior safeties Tim Bax and Gus Krimm. The hard-hitting leaders of the Red secondary are known and respected throughout the Ivy League for their hustle and football instincts as well as their punishing tackles.
Bax plays in the free safety position, which allows him to roam the field and use his tremendous instincts to read the play and get to the ball carrier as soon as possible. The 6-3 Chicago native can usually get there pretty quickly. He was a three-sport athlete (football, basketball and volleyball) in high school. In 2007, Bax racked up an impressive total of 100 tackles to lead the Red and was named team MVP. He also added four pass breakups, an interception, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. But if the rest of the defense is doing its job, Bax shouldn’t achieve such gaudy totals this season.
“Safeties play a big part of the defense, but I’m sure I won’t have that many tackles,” Bax said. “Our linebackers are a lot more experienced this year and we’ve got a bunch of playmakers so everyone should have a chance.”
Krimm, the hard-hitter of the defensive backfield, plays in the strong safety spot. At 6-0 and 201 pounds, he has shown a knack for preventing a big play. Krimm notched 41 solo tackles (58 total) as a sophomore. Last year, he totaled 30 solo stops (58 total) and five pass breakups.
“There’s a lot of trust between [Krimm] and me,” Bax said. “I know where he’s going to be and he always knows where I’m going to be so he does what he has to do and he knows I’ll be there. I know that every time he needs to do something he’s going to do it … a lot of trust.”