Study for that Prelim or Watch the Mets: It's an Easy Call

So I had a prelim last Thursday that frankly, I wasn’t prepared for. Despite all my efforts to wake up in time for my 10:10, it just didn’t work. From having wake-up calls from my friend to putting my phone alarm on the highest volume, it just wasn’t happening.
I even put my phone on the floor on the other side of the room to make myself actually get out of bed to turn it off — still didn’t work. I would somehow convince myself to get under the sheets (the lecture slides are all online, right?).
So after a month of either missing class or getting there late, I had one night to get it all together.
Now, you would think that your typical Ivy League student would get into grind mode and start studying as soon as I got a chance. But due to my obligations — a game of Madden, followed by a flag football game — I only got around to studying after 9:30 p.m. I was so serious I even had my homegirl come through and we were supposed to have a study session. I got myself a $5 footlong, had a nice little workout, hopped in and out of the shower.
I had past prelims, review sheets … I was all set. But playing in the background was the Mets-Cubs game, a game that the Mets really needed if they wanted to get into the playoffs with four games left in the season.
And just like many other instances in my life, my priorities shifted.
Despite my likelihood of taking a loss with the prelim, I stood there with my roommates hoping for the Mets to avoid another late-season collapse, hoping to see something sepecial. While my friend was trying to retain important information, I was standing right across from her quoting batting averages and statistics with my roommates. Same room, different mindset.
Now, I did actually end up studying, but that wasn’t until midnight when the Mets finished one of their many extra-innings collapses.
Besides getting a taped game erased from the DVR, the worst feeling for an avid sports watcher is to miss that one moment. Former assistant sports editor Lance Williams ’08 was at one of the greatest Super Bowls of all time when the Titans came one yard short of a win. He didn’t get to see that last play, though. His mom hauled him out before the game was over to make sure they didn’t miss a flight. Now, would you want to be him?
My friend said it two Monday Nights ago when I was running late for a close Monday Night Football matchup, “you know your obligated to watch it.” And that’s how it’s been for me for a while now. There is just something in every sports fan that tells you that nothing is more important than those last three at-bats, nothing more dramatic than a playoff game in the fourth quarter. And it’s certainly affected my life on more than one occasion.
Like my old girl, who knew that dinner plans rotated around what time my team’s playoff game was. She probably didn’t peep out that I always positioned myself on the bed so that the T.V. — A.K.A. the game — was always in sight. Or the fact that sometimes I would nod my head and act as if I was listening to her instead of Mike Tirico, John Madden, Al Michaels … the list goes on.
Why do you think I’m always late to every party? I’m not trying to make an entrance or anything but damn, the game was on. The work can wait for a bit.
It’s the same reason that during late March I go to every class with a laptop or I don’t attend at all. When March Madness is going on, Bio 109 can chill for a while.
I guess that’s why I got to go down this career path of being a sports journalist. You don’t want me doing your taxes during late March — my priorities are somewhere else. You don’t want me investing your money — I don’t have enough hours in my day to dedicate to something else.
This is just something that I’ve learned about myself after awhile. The possibility of watching an epic play, series, game is more important to me than many things and for many sports fans, the same rule applies. And truthfully, I wouldn’t have it any other way.