Golf Ends Fall Slate at Annual Big Five Invite

The golf team will travel to Philadelphia this weekend to close out the fall portion of their season with the Big Five Invitational. The Red enters the tournament in a similar situation to last weekend, as the team is the defending champions at this weekends tournament. While its approach is no different than any other week, the Red is eager to get out and improve on its performance from last week and play up to its potential.
“We’re really excited,” said jun­ior Robert Cron­heim, who leads the team in scoring this season. “We’re really looking forward to getting out there and competing. Personally, I feel great about our chances on this golf course.”
“We have the same general approach as always,” said sophomore Dan Bosse. “Every tournament we compete in we want to go out and play our best to win. Being the defending champions doesn’t change any of that.”
With the added intensity of school over the past couple of weeks, finding time to get out and practice has been difficult for the Red. Still, the golfers have found ways to get out and continuously improve their games.
“Because of the time of year, we’re all really busy,” Cronheim said. “Practice has been much more scattered than usual, you just have to go out whenever you have free time.”
“It’s the same approach as always,” added Bosse. “Take the weaknesses from the previous tournament and work to turn them into strengths.”
The tournament will be played at the Philadelphia Cricket Club, on a course that is over a century old. Cronheim, who was there to capture the tournament trophy last year, is particularly enthusiastic about the course.
“I’m really excited for this course,” said Cronheim. “It’s a very old style golf course that puts a precedent on hitting high quality golf shots. There are a lot of old oak trees that come into play all over the course. It’s a very aesthetically pleasing golf course. It’s a style that I grew up on and greatly enjoy playing on.”
As this is the Cornell’s last competitive tournament until the spring portion of its season, closing out the season on a high note is something in the back of their minds. While the long winter layoff spoils feelings of momentum, playing a good tournament and finishing high on the scoreboard is never a bad feeling to carry over into the offseason.
“Winning would be great to get some added confidence in ourselves,” Cronheim said.
“It’s huge,” Bosse said. “It’s very important for us to end the fall on a high note.”­