What Would Mao Do?

[img_assist|nid=32699|title=A guess at the new album’s artwork.|desc=|link=node|align=right|width=|height=0]For the first time in my career as a Sun blogger, I’m going to write about government and political issues – that’s right, Chinese Democracy.

Okay, so it’s not really a world issue, but the release of the long-awaited Guns N’ Roses album, Chinese Democracy, is finally on the horizon. After wavering between
a few release dates in mid-November, Axl has finally decided on November 23rd. The upcoming release will be the band’s comeback into the major rock scene since its disappearance in 1991, and close friends of the band say that it will be the first of a trilogy of three new albums.

But what can we expect from our Botox-injecting, hair braiding friend, Axl and the rest of his crew? Since 2003, there have been a few
leaks from the upcoming album on radio shows, in Harley-Davidson commercials and even during professional wrestling matches, but they have been snatched up by the band’s management far too fast for anyone to take a stance on their quality. [img_assist|nid=32698|title=Axl Rose post-makeover at the 2002 MTV VMA’s.|desc=|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]

And can the band last without Slash, or even Buckethead, who made an appearance at the MTV Video Music Awards in 2002? No one is really sure. And will Axl’s notorious temper once again bring the band to a premature decline? Again, the answer is still to come.

While there isn’t much to report or discuss until that fateful November morning when the album drops, there is still plenty of reason to celebrate. The world of rock music is getting its bad boys back, no matter the ultimate cost. Rejoice that the age of guitar smashing, pyrotechnic-dominated concerts and unrelenting shredding is back in a big way.