Catch It: Oct. 23 – 30

Friday 10/24:
If you’re a fan of the theatre and family tragedy (who isn’t?), you’ll love God’s Ear, playing tonight at the Schwartz Center. Penned by Jenny Schwartz ’95, the play will begin an Off Broadway run in April. The show starts at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets are $8-10.
Need ideas for how to entertain mom and dad during Parents’ Weekend? Why not let them buy you tickets to Howie Mandel? The Canadian TV personality and Deal or No Deal host hits Barton Hall at 7 p.m. for a night of stand-up and storytelling. No prize money will be distributed. Doors open at 6 p.m., and tickets are $20-25 for students, $25-30 for the general public.
Saturday 10/25:
You just got served . . . a fascinating documentary about break dancing. Planet B-Boy follows break-dance crews from around the world as they strut their stuff and prepare for a competition in Germany. The 5 p.m. showing is part of Cornell Library’s “Celebrating Hip-Hop History” conference and costs $4 for students.
Artsy kids and sweat: some might call it the perfect combo. And there’ll be plenty of both at tonight’s Masquerave at Risley Hall, featuring the techno beats of D.J. Adam Vana. The festivities begin at 10 p.m., and please — wear a costume. Cover is $5 for the bedecked and $7 for the lame.
Sunday 10/26:
Remember when
“psych,” was just a fun way to mess with someone? Experimental guitarist Tom Carter — of psych-drone experimental guitaring (whatever that is) — will be playing at the Lost Dog Lounge. Cyrus Gengras of psych-folk band Antique Brothers and American Sphinx will be opening. 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $6.
Ithaca may not be on most movie stars’ radars these days, but once upon a time it was the place to be. Come hear Rutgers film professor Richard Koszarski discuss I-Town’s moment in the limelight as he shares from his recent book, Hollywood on the Hudson, about the movie industry in New York.
2 p.m. at the Tompkins County Public Library, free.