Study Charts Views of Cornellians vs. Swing State Students

Earlier this week, Cornell’s Survey Research Institute, along with CBS, UWIRE and the Chronicle of Higher Education, released a study examining Cornell students’ political views towards the upcoming election versus students residing in the swing states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina and Colorado. Six days before the election, the survey highlights the unique opinions of students, a demographic often ignored in political polls that rely on landline phone calls.
Students have historically had the lowest voter registration rates in the country. The survey shows that a higher percentage of Cornell students have registered to vote than students living in swing states, but a smaller percentage of Cornell students actually plan to vote.
86 percent of Cornell students said that the United States is ready for a black president while only 67 percent feel that the country is ready for a woman president. 77 percent of black Cornellians responded that America is ready for a black president while 64 percent of female students said that the country is ready for a woman president.
In swing states, a lower percentage of Obama voters have made up their minds than Cornellians who favor the Illinois Senator. However, both at Cornell and in the swing states, a higher percentage of Obama voters are resolute in their decisions than those currently favoring McCain.
However, in both the swing states and at Cornell, nearly 80 percent of students agree that who is elected matters a great deal.
Check back throughout the week for more results from the survey.