Last-Second Shot Gives Red Win in Scrimmage

The men’s basketball team brought something rare to Ithaca last year — excitement about an NCAA tournament basketball team. Keeping up that momentum, the team put on a show for the Red faithful Saturday afternoon in the annual Red-White scrimmage. The contest would go down to the final buzzer, as junior Andre Wilkins hit a 3-pointer with two seconds left to give the Red the 74-71 victory.
[img_assist|nid=33450|title=Man of the hour|desc=A trey by junior Andre Wilkins (13) with two seconds left gave his Red team the win in the men’s basketball team’s Red-White scrimmage.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
“I looked up and saw the clock read two seconds, and I just shot it,” Wilkins said. “I was pretty excited. I didn’t want to go into overtime. It was good to show people that I have that capability, show that I have confidence to take that shot.”
A steal by Red teammate junior Geoff Reeves led to an outlet pass to Wilkins. Wilkins, who thought that time was going to run out, pulled up for the 22-foot jumper and nailed it. With two seconds left, junior Ryan Wittman had a chance to hit a last-second desperation shot, but it sailed wide.
Wittman still lit up the scoreboard, notching 30 points along with four assists and three rebounds to lead the White team. Joining Wittman on the White team, classmate Alex Tyler finish ed with 17 and freshman Chris Wroblewski impressed in his first Newman Arena appearance with 12 points, all from 3-point range.
The matchup was tightly contested, with 14 ties in the game. The last tie came with 35 seconds left as junior Geoff Reeves hit one of two free throws. Reeves, who will be counted on more due to the injury to senior captain Adam Gore, was one of three players to hit double digits for the Red squad. Reeves finished with 16 and senior Jeff Foote finished with 18 and 8 rebounds.
“It felt good [to play in the scrimmage], I’m healthy for once which is nice,” Reeves said. “As a team, we turned the ball over too much, but we played well.”
Sophomore UMass transfer Max Groebe led the Red squad with 21 points.
With Gore out until at least mid-January and junior Louis Dale still nursing a minor hamstring injury, Groebe would be welcomed by the Red this season. But due to NCAA regulations, the combo guard will have to sit out this year, making Saturday his only time on the court in front of Newman Nation.
“It felt good,” Groebe said. “I’m excited for next year. It’s a shame that it’s my only game this year.”