M. Cagers Face Midwest Foes

The men’s basketball team will face Eastern Michigan University today at 5:45 p.m. in Jamaica, N.Y. — the contest is the Red’s final consolation round game in the NIT Preseason Tip-Off Tournament, which opened last week.
In Cornell’s other consolation round game, the squad nabbed a decisive 78-55 win yesterday over Loyola (Chicago). The Red (3-2) then got the chance to do a little scouting, as host St. John’s beat Eastern Michigan (1-4), 73-61, in the 8 p.m. slot. Sophomore Brandon Bowdry and junior Justin Dobbins were the Eagles’ high scorers in that game, and the two forwards are the only players to average double-digits (15.2 and 13.6 points per game, respectively) for the Mid-American Conference squad.
Before heading back to Ithaca for the last week of classes, the Red will also make a stop in Hoosiers territory on Sunday for a 4 p.m. matchup with Indiana.
After notching two wins at home in Bloomington, No. 8 Notre Dame handed Indiana (2-1) its first defeat of the season yesterday at the Maui Invitational in an 88-50 blowout. With only two returning players and one senior on the roster this season and the memory of former head coach Kelvin Sampson’s recruiting scandal still fresh, first-year Hoosier head coach Tom Crean has taken over a program that defines the term “rebuilding.”
Indiana has averaged 19 turnovers per game so far. Of the nine freshmen on the Indiana roster, rookie forward Tom Pritchard has stood out, leading the Hoosiers in scoring and rebounding.