Wrestling Prevails at Southern Scuffle

Less than a week after Christmas, the wrestling team was back in action, traveling to North Carolina for the Southern Scuffle. Despite missing team stars junior Troy Nickerson and senior Jordan Leen, the wrestling team pulled through on Tuesday, Jan. 30, to win the Scuffle, moving up from a third place finish on the first day, following individual titles by sophomore Mack Lewnes and senior Steve Anceravage.

The Red won the competition with a total of 139, five more than runner-up Edinboro, in the 29-team bracket. Cornell had a number of wrestlers who placed among the top-10, including sophomore Mike Grey, who finished third at 133, sophomore Corey Manson, who finished seventh at 141, sophomore Justin Kerber, who finished third at 184, freshman Cam Simaz, who was fourth at 197, and senior Zach Hammond, rounding out the category with an eighth-place finish in Heavyweight. While the Red were in first place leading into the final round, Edinboro kept the second day interesting, winning the titles at 125, 133 and 157 pounds, respectively. Big wins by top-ranked Lewnes, and No.5 Anceravage moved the Red into first place, however. Anceravage in particular pulled through for the Red at the last minute, earning his win in a dramatic match ultimately secured by a fall in overtime, with the Red trailing by just one point.

Anceravage followed up his strong 5-0 performance at the Scuffle by being named the EIWA Wrestler of the Week on Jan. 5. The senior is currently still perfect on the season with an impressive 14-0 record, while also racking up titles at the Brute Binghamton Open and the Cornell-hosted Body Bar Invitational earlier in the fall.