Equestrian Travels for Tournament

Although the equestrian team saw limited action over the winter break, select members did travel to Painesville, Ohio in early December to compete in the Tournament of Champions at Lake Erie College. The Red scored 13 points, placing it 10th out of 26 teams –– just shy of the ribbons. Representing Cornell were seniors Dana Kendrick and Caroline Shulman, junior Brooke Cagwin and sophomores Georgina Melbye, Lauren Lavo, Rachel Klion, Kelsey Craig and Scotty Weber.
The Red started off the day with tri-captain Kendrick riding to a first-place finish in the Open Flat class. She was joined by fellow captain Shulman in sixth.
Melbye finished third in Intermediate Flat, securing four more points for Cornell. Klion competed in the Novice Flat and Novice Fences classes, placing sixth in both, which brought the Red’s point total to 13.
Next to ride for Cornell was Lavo, who finished seventh in Walk-Trot-Canter.
Kendrick and Shulman also both competed in the Medal class, a special class which features the best riders from each team as designated by the coaches.
Shulman’s ride on the flat qualified her for the jumping phase, and she finished in 13th place out of 41 riders.
The Red will resume its show schedule on Feb. 22, when the team plays host for the second time this season.