New Events Pay Off for Red at Home vs. Colgate

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both competed in meets against Colgate University at Teagle Pool last weekend, though with different results. The men came away with a commanding 179-102 win, sweeping all 16 contests, while the women dropped their meet by a slim 169-129 margin.
As they have done throughout the season, the men continued to improve and showcase just how talented of a team they are. Not only did the Red place first in each one of its 16 total events, but the top-2 swimmers in each race were Cornell swimmers.[img_assist|nid=34215|title=Just keep swimming|desc=The men’s swim team added some longer events to its line-up, including the 800-yard freestyle relay, in which the team broke a pool record.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Going into the meet, the Red knew it was a good opportunity to try out new events and have different swimmers compete in events that they are not accustomed to.
“As a team, we knew it was a meet where we could go in and switch things up a bit,” said senior Nick Cochran. “The coaches wanted us to try out some longer events, so we added in the mile and 800-yard freestyle relay. We actually broke an old pool record in the 800 relay, which was exciting.”
Cochran said the team is both excited and confident about its production at this point in the season.
“We’re definitely feeling good about where we are,” Cochran said. “We’ve worked hard all year long and have set ourselves up for some good swims at the end of the year.”
The women won six total events, with freshman Emily Dean leading the way with one individual win and two second-place finishes.
“We were happy with our performance,” said sophomore Kathleen Hohwald. “We were in a lot of close races.”
Despite being pleased with its strong showing, the Red still knows that there is always room for improvement.
“We need to work on building up our speed and trying to make our recoveries shorter,” Hohwald said.
Similar to the men, the women are feeling confident about their progress and where they currently stand heading into the core portion of their season.
“I think we’re feeling really good about where we are right now heading into the last few weeks,” Hohwald said. “Our team is feeling really together right now. We’re really focused with our training and looking to keep up momentum heading into our last competitions.”

Related Content:
First Meet Bodes Well for Men

Holohan Hired as W. Swim Coach
Swimming Team has Confident Weekend