Red Falls to Yale for First League Loss of Season

Check Monday’s edition of The Cornell Daily Sun for additional coverage of the men’s hockey team.
Cornell witnessed its 10-game unbeaten steak come to an unexpected end Friday night thanks to a feisty Yale team that handed the Red its first home loss of the season. The Red failed to defeat the Bulldogs on its home ice for a forth consecutive time, losing 4-3.
Cornell (13-1-4, 8-0-3 ECAC Hockey) failed to convert on all three power play opportunities in the first period while the Bulldogs (12-5-1, 7-3-1 ECAC Hockey) capitalized on their only extra man advantage. Sophomore left wing Jeff Anderson registered his third goal of the season at the 16:52 mark of the first period with one tick remaining on the power play. Junior netminder Ben Scrivens dove to his left to deny Anderson’s initial shot, but was unable to hold onto the puck as Anderson deposited the rebound into the top right corner of the net.
Cornell responded early in the second stanza as senior co-alternate captain Jared Seminoff tied the contest at 1-1 with a shot from the point at the 1:30 mark.
Junior co-captain Colin Greening and senior right wing Evan Barlow were each credited with an assist.
Yale captured its second lead of the contest less than three minutes later as junior forward Tom Dignard took advantage of miscommunication in front of the Cornell net and deposited the loose puck into the back of the goal with 15:45 remaining in the second period. Yale leads the conference in scoring offense with 3.35 goals per game.
Sophomore center Riley Nash lit the lamp for the eighth time this season, knotting the game at 2-2 with 11:15 remaining in the second stanza. Nash capitalized on the Cornell power play as lifted the puck over sophomore goaltender Ryan Rondeau’s stick. Greening and Barlow each paired up for their second assists of the game. Barlow leads the Red with 11 assists.
Sophomore center Brendan Mason staked the Bulldogs to a 3-2 advantage on a breakaway unassisted goal at 13:38 in the second period. Mason slipped a backhanded shot past Scrivens’ stick and into the top left corner of the goal.
The Bulldogs received a goal from junior center Mark Arcobello with 10:49 remaining in regulation. The Red entered the contest ranked No. 1 in scoring defense with 1.29 goals allowed per game. However, Friday night marked just the second time all season that Cornell surrendered more than two goals to an opponent.
With only 20 ticks left in regulation, Brendan Nash sliced Yale’s lead to 3-2 with his first goal of the campaign.