Dale Helps Red Overcome Slow Start to Defeat Brown

Junior guard Louis Dale and the Red made a statement to the rest of the Ivy League Friday night by defeating Brown, 90-58. Dale led the Red with 23 points on 9-of-11 shooting and also played a big role in shutting down Brown guard Adrian Williams. The win put the team’s league record to 3-0 and dropped the Bears to 0-3 in Ancient Eight play.
The Red took over the game with a balanced scoring attack and by out-rebounding the Bears, 43-25, while shooting 50 percent from behind the three-point arc. Brown played Cornell tough in the first five minutes, going up 14-9. But that lead wouldn’t last for too long as the Red would respond to Brown’s competitive spirit. Dale was a big catalyst in Cornell’s 14-0 run that would erase the Red’s deficit and put the team up nine points. The most emphatic play of the run was Dale’s contested step back-jumper in the face of Williams.
“He played with great pace,” Donahue said. “When he’s attacking, it’s so difficult to guard us.”
“In practice all week,” Dale said. “I’ve just been feeling like every I shot I take is going in. I guess it kind of carried over.”
The 3,213 fans had more than one reason to cheer besides the large margin on the scoreboard. Friday’s contest marked the first time senior co-captain guard Adam Gore hit the floor since tearing his ACL during the preseason. Gore only went 1-for-3 from the floor, finishing with three points.
Gore received a large ovation from the crowd as soon as he entered the game in the first half. His first two shot attempts where off but he finally hit his first jumper in the second half much to a loud roar from the fans.
The Red shut the door on Brown to start the second half. Cornell opened the stanza with a 17-6 run that put the Bears at bay for the rest of the game. The large margin allowed Donahue to put the playing roster on the floor. In all, 15 Cornell players notched marks in the scoring column. The team finished with shooting 53.7 percent.
Peter Sullivan had 15 points and four rebounds to lead Brown. Matt Mullery played a strong role as well putting in 14 points and six rebounds.