February 9, 2009

W. Hockey Ends With Two Ties

Print More

Traveling to play Quinnipiac and Princeton this weekend, the women’s hockey team came away with tied results in both games — a 4-4 score against Quinnipiac and 2-2 against Princeton.
“Both games were kind of similar. We were winning, we had the lead, and they ending up coming back and getting us, tying us, which is unfortunate and frustrating at the same time,” said freshman forward Catherine White.
The Red (11-10-4, 7-7-4 ECAC) began its game against Quinnipiac (3-22-5, 2-11-5 ECAC) with a strong opening, scoring two of its goals early in the first period. Sophomore Rebecca Johnston netted one for Cornell about four minutes into the start of play after a pass from Chelsea Karpenko. The Red upped its lead to 2-0 with a goal from sophomore defender Sam Wauer.[img_assist|nid=34869|title=Helping hand|desc=Sophomore Rebecca Johnston (16) added two assists on the weekend.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Quinnipiac got on the board with a goal 12 minutes into the first. The Bobcats utilized a three-on-one opening on their way to the goal, and Kallie Flor scored.
After the break, the Bobcats tied up the score at 2-2 with a goal from junior forward Janine Duffy. The Red out-shot Quinnipiac 10-4 in the second, but Bobcat goalkeeper Nanna Holm-Glaas wouldn’t let one past her all period.
Quinnipiac took the lead minutes into the third, when Antoinete Maldonado hit the puck at Cornell goalkeeper Jenny Niesluchowski, who thought she had the puck covered, and kept swinging at it until it went in.
The Red then switched up its goalie and put freshman Amanda Mazzotta between the pipes.
Cornell kept up its intensity and scored two more goals. The Red tied it back up at 3-3 when it utilized a five-on-four power play opportunity about halfway through the third. Soon following White’s goal, Johnston scored her second goal of the game to put the Red into a temporary lead.
Quinnipiac brought the final score to 4-4 when Duffy caught her own rebound and got the puck past Mazzotta. Neither team scored for the remainder of the period. The game continued into overtime, but after a scoreless period the game was called, 4-4.
“With Quinnipiac, we had a few opportunities to score we didn’t exactly capitalize on, which ending up costing us in the end, and also there were a few defensive errors that were made as a team and that cost us too,” White said.
The matchup against Princeton (14-9-2, 11-6-1 ECAC) would turn out to be another tie for the Red.
“Both teams are really good at fore checking, they get right on you, they don’t really give you a lot of time, so we really had to quicken up,” White said. “We had to be smart defensively on our own end, and I think we didn’t really good job of that which resulting in us tying when we should have won.”
Cornell picked up the first goal of the game when Karpenko scored with assistance from Johnston and White.
“It was a shot from up top from around the blue line and the rebound came out and I got my stick on it. With a quick shot it was in,” said freshman forward Chelsea Karpenko.
Yet Princeton answered back with a goal of its own midway through the first. Charissa Stadnyk picked up a rebound and sent it right past Mazzotta for the goal.
With just over a minute remaining in the first period, Cornell brought the score to 2-1 and briefly took the lead. White scored her second goal of the weekend, after assists from Johnston and Karpenko.
At the end of the second period, the Tigers brought the game to a tie, with a goal from Annie Greenwood.
Both teams were scoreless in the third, and the Tigers out-shot Cornell 12-2 for the period. Yet freshman goaltender Mazzotta was a wall, holding on to the 2-2 tie.
The game was decided after a scoreless overtime.
“We knew winning the games would put us into the playoffs, but we didn’t lose, we came out with two ties. We battled hard. We just didn’t capitalize on some of our chances and they did,” Karpenko said.