Princeton Men Atop Ivy Pile

Junior guard Jeremy Lin’s free throw with no time left on the clock sealed Harvard’s come-from-behind, 64-63, victory against Brown at home on Saturday night. With no choice but to look for a jumper, Lin faked to get two Brown defenders off the floor and earned a foul call –– setting the stage for his 27th point of the game and 22nd of the second half. Senior forward Evan Harris made his first start of the season after having midseason knee surgery only a few weeks ago. He finished with 12 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks –– two of which came in the final minute against Brown junior forward Matt Mullery. Harvard committed nine turnovers and shot just 7-for-23 in the opening half, but rebounded in the second, shooting nearly 52 percent overall while going 6-for-10 beyond the arc and making 8-of-9 from the free throw line. With the win, Harvard ends a four-game losing streak and returns to 0.500 (2-4 Ivy). Brown, on the other hand, fell to 6-14 overall and remains winless in the Ivy League.
On the women’s side, Dartmouth derailed a late Yale rally to secure its seventh-straight win and remain undefeated in the Ivy League. The Green’s offense was led by sophomore forward Brittney Smith with 16 points and junior Margaret Smith and senior Koren Schram with 10 points each. Schram also contributed a strong defensive effort, notching five steals. Dartmouth held junior Melissa Colborne, one of the league’s top scorers, to just two points –– well below her average 16.4. Junior forward Haywood Wright was the top performer for Yale, managing 10 points and eight rebounds. Although the Green preserved its lead throughout the game, the Bulldogs pulled within four, 43-39, with 3:04 remaining thanks to a Mady Gobrecht three-point play. The 51-42 victory moves Dartmouth to 10-9 overall; with the loss, Yale drops to 2-4 in the Ivy League and 9-11 overall.