Seniors Lead W. Harriers at Kane Invite

Parting was such sweet sorrow but victory was just sweet for the Red as both the men’s and women’s squads were split between the Kane Invitational at Barton Hall and the Virginia Duals at the Armory in New York City.
At home, the squads faced many of their upstate rivals. The Red excelled as the squads totaled 10 event wins, eight of which were by the women.
The women’s team saw their experienced leaders emerge victorious, as the seniors trumped the competition. Janice Nsor won the 60-m with a time of 0:07.78, Tameka Royal took first in the 400-m dash with a time of 1:00:21 and placed third in the 200-m dash with 0:27.01 and Carissa Jones took first in the 500-m with a time of 1:21:71.
[img_assist|nid=35146|title=We fly so high|desc=Sophomore jumper Kim Lienhoop competes in the long jump at the Robert J. Kane Invitational on Saturday.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Outstanding performer of the meet for the women was freshman Karen Schillinger, who won the women’s pentathlon with the seventh highest total of all time at Cornell and who set a personal best in all five events.
The women’s performance was exemplified in the outstanding number of finishes in the top three. The women went Nos. 1-2-3 in the mile: freshmen Emma Clarke and Christine Smith along with sophomore Kathryn Beck surpassed the competition. They repeated the feat again in the 1000-m with sophomore Alana Levy, senior Danielle Schaub and freshman Janel Parker. The Red also went Nos. 1-2 in the 60-m hurdles through the tremendous performances of sophomore Lauren Tanz and freshman Taylor Baird, and in the long jump with senior Mallory Bilbo, 5.51 meters, and freshman Jessica Wilson.
On the men’s side, freshman Bob Belden was victorious in the shot put, at 15.71 meters, and took second in the weigh throw, with 17.51 meters. In the heptathlon, sophomores Alex Holcomb and Chris Ryan went 1-2, with Holcomb having the second best performance in Cornell history.
In Virginia, the Red again totaled 10 wins against top track schools.
Senior Jeomi Maduka again overwhelmed the competition, winning the 60-m dash with a time of 0:07.57 seconds. Maduka also won the long jump by almost one meter with a measurement of 6.70 meters. She also was victorious in the triple jump taking mark at 13.28 meters. On the men’s side, freshman hurdler and sprinter Nick Huber, senior sprinter Nathan Crabtree, junior jumper Duane Teixieria and senior thrower Erik Roneker each had two top-3 finishes. Other Cornellians also placed at the top of the podium including senior Jimmy Wyner in the men’s 3000-m, junior Jessica Weyman in the women’s 400-m, junior Caroline Heidt in the women’s mile and junior Natalie Gengel in the women’s pole vault.
Both squads will next be performing at the Deneault Memorial Invitational at home next Saturday, the last competition before the Heps at Harvard.