Gymanstics Loses to Towson, Posts Highest Score of Season

[img_assist|nid=35189|title=Strike a pose|desc=The gymanstics team lost by 0.900 points in a thriller against rival Towson. The Red posted their highest score all season.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]“We’re pretty happy,” said sophomore Maddie Pearsall, who led the Red on both bars and floor, posting scores of 9.700 and 9.775 respectively. “It was disappointing to lose, but it was a big improvement coming off of the last couple of weeks.”
There was definitely an added level of intensity in Teagle, as the combination of a capacity crowd and having the Red’s undefeated rival as an opponent produced a very high level of competition.
“Having a larger crowd and going against an undefeated team like Towson definitely got our team pumped,” said sophomore Kerri Lavallee, who placed first in the meet on vault with a 9.850, just .050 off of her school record. “We performed much better because of it.”
The Red won vault while narrowly dropping bars, beam and floor to Towson. However, all four of the team scores in each event were up from last week when the Red posted a 189.675 at Penn State. The team’s dedication and focus in practice throughout the season appears to be paying off.
In addition to the noise and enthusiasm, the crowd at Teagle provided donations to the Red for its fundraiser supporting AIDS research. Final numbers are still being calculated, but the Red seemed pleased with the turnout.
“It was great,” Pearsall said. “It was awesome to be able to raise money for such a good cause.”
Another added means of motivation for the team in its upcoming week of practice is the fact that it will get another crack at Towson, in addition to Penn and Ursinus, this weekend at the Shelly Calloway Invitational, hosted by the Tigers.
“We were wicked close to beating them,” Lavallee said, “it’s going to be another close matchup and we know that we’re ready to beat them.”
“We’re really excited to get another shot at them,” Pearsall said. “This past weekend was so close, even with some falls that we had to count. If we can limit the falls even more, we’re in a great position to win.”