Men’s, Women’s Polo to Take On Powerhouse Virginia

This weekend, the men’s and women’s polo teams will renew arguably their biggest rivalries as both teams will travel to Virginia.
After slipping by the Toronto Polo Club, 15-12, last weekend, the men’s team (11-3) must shift the relaxed mindset it had against Toronto, to one of grit and determination as it prepares for its biggest match of the season to date.
In the two squads’ first meeting of the season, back on Oct. 17, the Cavaliers took down the visiting Red, 23-5. In the second matchup, on Nov. 23, the Red narrowed the gap and lost, 27-17, at the Oxley Equestrian Center. Then, on Jan. 31, hoping to pull off an upset, the Red faltered against UVa again at home. Following a third chukker surge, Cornell lost, 23-12.
This weekend’s contest marks the final scheduled meeting between the archrivals this year. Following this upcoming game, their next possible tangle would be in the National championship tournament, which will be held April 4-11 in Charlottesville, Va.
The Red hopes to prove that it can contend with the Cavaliers, and perhaps set the stage for an upset in the National tournament mirroring last year’s semifinal stunner where Cornell toppled the No. 1 seed.[img_assist|nid=35392|title=Send in the cavalry|desc=The men’s polo team will seek to avenge its two losses to the University of Virginia earlier this season.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
The women’s team (16-0) will also play Virginia in Charlottesville this weekend. The Red, one of the best teams in the country, will take on the Cavaliers at 6 p.m. tonight. In the two teams’ first game of the season, the Red took down UVa, 21-11, south of the Mason-Dixon Line. The Oct. 17 meeting preceded the Jan. 30 near-upset, when Cornell only slipped by Virginia by a final tally of 15-13. The close game served as a wake-up call for the Red. The usual lineup of seniors Ariana Constant, Emily Bold, Erin Bold and sophomore Lizzie Wisner will try to right the ship after a slow start to the spring semester.