h3>About The Sun
Founded in 1880, The Cornell Daily Sun, one of the nation’s oldest daily college newspapers and one of the strongest organizations on campus, is and always has been completely independent from Cornell University. The newspaper serves the Cornell campus and its surrounding community in Ithaca, New York. The Sun is entirely student-run, publishing Monday through Friday during the academic year, with special Graduation and Freshman issues during the summer. In the 127 years that The Sun has been publishing, some famous names have graced its pages, including Editors-in-Chief E.B.White ’21 and Dick Schaap ’55; Associate Editor Kurt Vonnegut ’44; Business Manager Oscar Mayer ’34; and business board member Frank Gannett 1898. In 1912, The Sun became the first collegiate member of the Associated Press.
About The Position
In today’s digital world, information technology (IT) plays an essential role in the day-to-day print operations of the paper. The IT Manager is responsible for overseeing all technical operations at our primary offices at 139 West State Street in Ithaca, N.Y. This includes running regular maintenance, tracking and installing software updates as necessary, monitoring the network for threats and performance issues, ensuring that all critical files are regularly backed up, and contracting with outside consultants as necessary to solve issues as they arise. Additionally, the IT Manager is responsible for presenting the Editor in Chief, the Sun’s chief executive officer, with a biannual report on the status of the paper’s IT infrastructure that will be accompanied with a five-year plan for suggested expenses on upgrades and maintenance.
The IT Manager will report directly to the Business Manager. This is a part-time position, entailing a commitment of approximately 10 hours per week during publication (August to December and January to May). However, this person will be expected to be on call as necessary to respond to emergencies that may arise during evenings and weekends. Hours during off-publication months may vary and will be determined by the Business Manager.
Successful candidates must:
- Be able to demonstrate expertise with and knowledge of the Mac OS X environment and Macintosh computers.
- Have an excellent working knowledge of ethernet-based computer networks and network-based backup solutions and network printing via AppleTalk and/or Bonjour/Rendezvous.
- Have a working knowledge or ability to quickly learn the basics of the Quark Xpress publishing software and of the Adobe Creative Suite line of software products.
- Be creative, enthusiastic and willing to work closely with production staff and the editors on solving problems and implementing new IT solutions to meet the expanding needs of The Sun.
Other desired qualifications include:
- Prior working experience in a small business IT environment
- Knowledge or experience with UNIX command-line programming
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Any questions can be directed to:
G. Scott Russ ’10
The Cornell Daily Sun
139 West State St.
Ithaca, N.Y., 14850
Tel: (607) 273-3606