Gymnastics Finishes ECAC Championships in Second

The gymnastics team tied its highest-ever finish at the ECAC Championships this weekend, posting a stellar 193.050 to finish a mere .275 points behind winner Towson. The Red did not have to count a single fall throughout the entire meet, something that it has been striving for throughout the season. Despite the frustration of not being able to edge Towson, the Red was very excited about its performance. [img_assist|nid=36176|title=Now that’s good form|desc=Freshman Melanie Standridge scored a 9.800 on beam, earning a third-place finish.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
“We were very happy with how we finished,” said sophomore Kerri Lavallee, who was crowned the individual ECAC Champion on vault after posting an impressive 9.850. “We weren’t happy that we couldn’t manage to beat Towson; it was definitely frustrating to come so close and still not be able to beat them, but it was one of the highest scores of our season. We’re very content with how we ended up.”
The Red is peaking at exactly the right time, as it posted a score of 193.000 or better for the second time this season, the first coming last weekend against Temple. Sophomore Maddie Pearsall led the way for the Red on bars, posting a 9.650. Freshman Melanie Standridge and senior captain Stacey Ohara each scored 9.800s on beam to lead the Red –– good for third at the meet. Sophomore Emily Santoro and Lavallee rounded out the top finishes for the Red, tying for third on floor with a 9.800 each.
“We’re definitely hitting our stride,” said Pearsall. “This is exactly when we wanted to. Still, there’s always room for improvement. We have things to work on before nationals in a few weeks.”
While one would assume that the Red is at full strength, freshman Bethany Neczypor, who has been a key contributor to the Red throughout the year, was unable to compete due to a knee injury. As has been the case all season long, members of the Red stepped up to fill the voids.
“It was tough losing [Neczypor], she’s competed in multiple events for us throughout the year. And bar lineup was missing a few starters, too. But other people stepped up and kept the momentum going.”
It is obvious that the Red is peeking, and its timing is exactly what the team had hoped for all year.
“We’re feeling pretty confident,” Lavallee said. “We know we still have a little bit of room for improvement, but overall we’re feeling really good. We know that we really have a good shot at winning.”